Friday, March 12, 2010

Romania 2008 ~ Kids Club


Veritas hosts two kids clubs, small kids club and big kids (youth) club. I spent the most time with the youth. For one activity we made salam de biscuiti to share with the elderly clubs. It is made with crushed cookies, raisins, Turkish delight, cocoa, milk, and rum flavoring. We had fun crushing up the cookies and mixing all the ingredients up with our hands. We went outside and played some games when we finished in the kitchen. We played a clapping game, soccer, and volleyball. We also took a lot of pictures; the girls loved modeling for us.
I went on an ecology field trip with the younger kids. We took a long hike to a river/field and picked up all the garbage we saw. We collected quite a bit! The kids did a great job, and I enjoyed working with them. I'm ashamed to say, however, that the kids had a much better attitude about the long hike and heat than I did. They gave me a reality check as we walked back to Sighisoara. I was hot, sweaty, and tired from the hike. I was beginning to think about all of my complaints when it hit me -- the kids are over half my age, have probably done more today than I have, have been more enthusiastic about their work, and haven't complained about anything the entire afternoon. They put me to shame, and I'm proud of them for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment