Friday, March 12, 2010

Romania 2008 ~ Elderly Club


There are three elderly clubs hosted by Veritas. They meet in the church, citadel, and Baragon. I only visited the clubs in the church and Baragon. Elderly club offers the elderly in the area the chance to socialize, play games, and drink coffee or tea. There are two things you must know in order to survive elderly club: how to play UNO and Rummikub. The rules to the games change with each person you play with, so it stays interesting.
On the first day, I played UNO with Maria. When we finished playing cards, we did a few puzzles. Maria must have had them memorized because all she did was sort the pieces into various piles and give them to us to put into place. She got a kick out of watching us put it together! On other days, we played rummikub, looked through magazines, or simply served tea, coffee, and cookies. I wish I had a better grasp on the language; it would have been nice to talk with them, hear their stories, or just listen to their conversations. The men and women were so kind; they seemed to truly enjoy having us there.
Looking back, it seems like such an anomaly. I went to serve, to do something, and yet the best and most appreciated thing I could do was share my time and honest interest. Isn't this what we all want? Someone to care and take the time to show us they do? I am thankful I had the opportunity to invest in Maria and the others, and I am thankful for the love they showed me in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment