Friday, May 14, 2010

Welcome back

It is so good to be back in Sighisoara again, and even better to be remembered by some of the Veritas staff. I have been trying to mentally prepare myself for all of the changes which might have occurred in the last two years; I knew I couldn't expect everyone and everything to be as I remembered it. I have to say, I have been pleasantly surprised.
Some volunteers and staff members have moved on, and others have come in their place. Old construction projects have been finished, and others have begun. There is a good mixture of the familiar and unfamiliar. It will be a good balance for me, I think. I like knowing my way around parts of the city and recognizing familiar faces. I have so much learning and growing to do, the familiarity is a comfort and confirmation that I am in the right place.
I don't believe it has truly sunk in that I will be living her for the next 3 months. Part of me is incredibly excited to learn the language, the culture, the history, etc... And yet, another part of me is anxious. I have the opportunity, and the challenge, to saturate myself in another culture, learning all I can; three months could be a long time to do that, not to mention a long time to be away from family and friends. But before you think I am starting to doubt myself and God's calling to be here, I am happy to say the adventurous side of me is winning. I am excited for all of the joys and challenges which lie ahead this summer. I know it won't all be easy, but it will be growing and rewarding. It's time to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment